Assistant Professor of Economics
Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, Economics (2015)
Areas of Expertise
- Behavioral economics
- Applied microeconomics
- Experimental economics
- Judgment and decision-making
- Winter Study Committee
Click here to register as a participant in (paid) economics experiments held on campus.
Research and Teaching Fields
Behavioral Economics, Judgment and Decision-Making, Applied Microeconomics, Experimental Economics
1. Larkin I, Ang D, Steinhart J, Chao M, Patterson M, Sah S, Wu T, Schoenbaum M, Hutchins D, Brennan T, Loewenstein G. Association between academic medical center pharmaceutical detailing policies and physician prescribing. JAMA 2017; 3017(17):1785-95.
2. Chao M. Demotivating incentives and motivation crowding out in charitable giving.
PNAS 2017; 114(28):7301-7306.
3. Chao M. Intentions-based reciprocity to monetary and non-monetary gifts. Games 2018; 9, 74 (Special issue on dictator games).
Working Papers / Manuscripts
2. Chao M, Larkin I. Regulating conflicts of interest through public disclosure and social image incentives: Evidence from a physician payments sunshine law.