Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, Economics (2015)
Click here to register as a participant in (paid) economics experiments held on campus.
Research and Teaching Fields
Behavioral Economics, Judgment and Decision-Making, Applied Microeconomics
Experimental Economics, Consumer Behavior
1. Larkin I, Ang D, Steinhart J, Chao M, Patterson M, Sah S, Wu T, Schoenbaum M, Hutchins D, Brennan T, Loewenstein G. Association between academic medical center pharmaceutical detailing policies and physician prescribing. JAMA 2017; 3017(17):1785-95.
2. Chao M. Demotivating incentives and motivation crowding out in charitable giving.
PNAS 2017; 114(28):7301-7306.
Working Papers / Manuscripts
2. Chao M, Larkin I. Regulating conflicts of interest through public disclosure and social image incentives: Evidence from a physician payments sunshine law.
3. Chao M. Intentions-based reciprocity to monetary and non-monetary gifts.
Funded by a grant from the Russell Sage Foundation
4. Ang D, Chao M, Larkin I. Do small gifts from pharmaceutical salespeople influence physician prescribing? Evidence from a large-sample quasi-experiment.